View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1931)
9/10

Dr Jekyll seeks to evolve humankind by separating the evil person from the good person. Somehow a potion that produces the evil man... um... well, as long as we got the evil man, if you use up all the evil man time, we'll be left with the good man... I don't know, let's just go with it and see what happens.

Couldn't have been better unless it had some other things to say. Still not a correct replication of the short novel (which I read, and highly recommend), but it's the closest film adaptation to the book that I've yet seen, but of course entirely inadequate to the book. In fact, check out the book "The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" from the library for free, because there is no substitute, it's a good book, and it's a short book too (64 pages). Then we can talk about the book.

Anyway, the film... the shot direction is full tilt! The director, Rouben Mamoulian, uses first person, lot's of movement... it's really exciting direction.

Fredric March, playing the lead, Dr Jekyll, won the Academy Award for Best Actor, playing an American in London... that is, he's the only one with an American accent, but nobody talks about it...

The script dialogue is definitely bold, no holds barred...

Indeed it is! Quite sexual and quite violent for the time. Miriam gives an excellent turn as the Good Time Girl who gets more than she thought.

CRACK IN THE WORLD (1965). In an effort to harness more energy, a missle is driven into the Earth and starts off a string of disasters. This was better than I thought with Dana Andrews-always good; check out LAURA (1944) , THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) and NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1958) turning in a measured performance and pretty nifty special effects for the time too. ***1/2