View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 07:50 PM
ventricle

Labyrinth (1986)
5/10

Had to see it eventually. It's cultural landmark, required viewing for me.

Girl decides to save her little brother from a mystical being in a maze.

Loved the opening... seemed like it was going to be morality tale or allegory about a women embracing or rejecting responsibility, adulthood, feminine nurturing -- as represented by caring for her little toddler brother -- or choosing to live a carefree childlike life free from that responsibility. But instead, once she decides to go get her brother, which she decides to do immediately because, as she says, "I have to", she learns absolutely nothing from her experiences. She doesn't change at all. The scenarios teach nothing. The only thing the scenarios might teach are friends are useful; and be kind to people and they might be useful; and forgive people and they might be useful. Nothing else.

The sets were great. The music sucked. It wasn't humorous. Not a feel good film. I guess it was a happy ending, but more like, 'I just need to get some rest now'. Much of the film was quite boring, especially the short, but not short enough, "fight" scenes. I know why nobody ever quotes anything from this film. There's nothing to quote.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-05-2021 at 07:51 PM.