Thread: The Aristocrat
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
The Aristocrat

this was supposed to be a 5 page short story for Creative Writing that ended up being a bit longer. It being for a class, I had to tone some of my stuff down a bit, but here it is:

Dear Mr. Ira,
It is the request of one Akito Suvarta that you be present at the address on the enclosed blue index card on the 15th of April, 2005 Anno Domini. You are to clear your schedule for at least the week before and the week after. You are to bring one (1) sleeping bag, one (1) change of clothes, any hygienic items you wish to bring, two (2) weeks worth of MREs (to be obtained at the address given on the enclosed white index card), and, if you wish, one (1) flashlight, and one (1) book of your choice. You are not to bring any electronic equipment, any cellular phones or radios, or any means of audio or visual recording (no cameras, no tape recorders). You may not bring any other person(s) with you. You are to transport yourself alone. Upon your arrival, you will receive further instruction. If you are present at the specified location on the specified date, the sum of $300,000,000 USD will be transferred into an account for use by you or any person(s) of your choosing. If you are not present at the time and place specified, no money will be given, and there will be no further correspondence. You may tell your spouse of this offer, but no one else. We look forward to your visit.

-Iron Crutch corp.

Ardal Ira folded the letter and set it in the middle of the kitchen table. His wife reached for it, but she seemed loathe to touch it. She put her hand back in her lap. There was a long silence. Ardal broke it.

“So?” It came out as almost a whisper.

“I’ve never heard of the Iron Crutch corp.”

“Neither have I. They must be well-off.”

There was another long silence. Ardal took the letter and folded it into his pants pocket. His wife broke the silence this time.

“Are you going to go?”

“I don’t know. I suppose I have a month to decide.”

“Is there a number you can call to…I dunno, get some information on this?”

“Doubt it.”

“Well, I mean…it’s three hundred million dollars. It’s not like we couldn’t use the money.”

“It’s not like we need that kind of money.” He paused. “Do you think I should go?”

“I don’t know…maybe. I’m not gonna say I wouldn’t like to have three hundred million dollars.”

“We don’t need that much money.”

“Then we can give some away if you want.”

Ardal rifled through his pocket and pulled out the blue index card. He leaned back against the wall, staring at the address on the card.

“So…what are you gonna do?” his wife asked.

Ardal sighed and put the card back in his pocket.

“I don’t know.”

The car sputtered to a halt. Ardal sat inside and tried to slow his heart. He looked ahead through the windshield to the lot. The ground was a brownish yellow- dead grass- and almost totally barren. Almost, except for the building. It stood in the middle of a vast and vacant lot, and it looked at least 20 stories tall. There seemed to be no windows, the outside was stark white concrete. Ardal took a deep breath, grabbed his bag, and slowly got out of the car.

He tentatively walked up to the building. All that was on the outside of it was a thick steel door, with a small metal door next to it that looked like it opened to a circuit breaker or something. The large door had no handle, but the smaller door had a latch on the bottom. Several times he reached his hand over to touch the latch, but let his arm drop at the last second. Finally, he mustered up the courage and turned the latch. The door swung up as if spring loaded. Inside was an empty metal cabinet, with only a small button at the bottom and a note next to it. He eyed both, and picked up the note.

Push the button and hold it down with your right thumb so that it can read your thumb print.

He did so, and with a dull, thick creak, the large door swung in, and he entered the building. Inside was a large room that was empty, save an elevator in the middle, and a sheet of paper hung up next to the elevator door. He walked up to the elevator, footsteps echoing off the walls, and read the second note.

The elevator is voice activated. State your full name loudly and clearly.

“Ardal Ira.” He heard an almost cheerful beep, and the elevator door hummed open. Looking around, he stepped inside and pushed the only button he saw. The door shut and he felt the elevator slowly rising. After what seemed like a half hour, it stopped, and the door opened. He stepped out into what appeared to be a waiting room. There were chairs, a table with magazines, a small table in the middle, and a television. On the table was a VHS tape. He picked it up and inspected it. It was crudely labeled “Instructions” in magic marker on a strip of masking tape that had been stuck on the spine. He went over to the television and put the tape in the VCR. The tape began playing automatically.

After some static, a man in a very expensive looking suit came on, sitting at a desk and looking somewhat like a newscaster. He sat silently looking at the camera. Ardal began to get nervous and felt like the man on the television was looking at him. Then the man began to speak.

“Hello, Mr. Ira. Welcome to the home office of Iron Crutch corp. We’re glad to see you’ve made it. I’ll answer what I’m sure is one of your primary concerns right away. As soon as your thumb print was read at the front door, two things happened. The first was three hundred million dollars being transferred into an account. The second was a letter being mailed to your house. This letter contains all the necessary information on accessing and using the account. You and your wife may use this money however you see fit.

“Now, I’m sure you’re wondering why it is you’re here. Iron Crutch corp. is currently working on some rather important research, and we need people to simply observe certain goings-on, and then tell what they saw to whomever they wish. That is all you’re required to do. Observe. And, barring any negative actions on your part, we guarantee your safety. Next: your instructions. If you will head back towards the elevator, but walk around the elevator to the opposite end of the room, you’ll find a door. Enter the door, walk down the stairs, and enter the room at the bottom of those stairs. There you will receive your next set of instructions in the form of a small manual. This manual is to be kept with you at all times, and it contains all the information you will need during your time here. Thank you, and good luck.”

Ardal stared at the screen as the picture turned to static. He went over and sat in one of the chairs. It was strangely comfortable. He sat for a while and mulled over what he’d just seen, the building in the middle of the vacant lot, the notes, the letter, the money, all of it. He briefly entertained the idea of simply leaving the building, if it would mean there would be no money, but he remembered that the only button in the elevator is the one that took him up to wherever he was. He finally got up, took his bag, and walked around the elevator, down the stairs, and into a very sterile looking room. On a small white table he saw a thin, bound book on top of a taped up cardboard box. He picked up the manual and opened it to the first page.

To whom it may concern: Beneath this instruction book is a box. Inside this box are the following; a jumpsuit, a gas mask, a pair of boots, a pair of gloves, and a small flip knife. You are to strip all of your clothing and don the jumpsuit, boots, and gloves. The gas mask is to be worn in any and all rooms not marked by a blue door and blue walls. Rooms with red walls have certain chemical agents inserted into the air supply that may be harmful to you, and rooms with white walls are transitional between rooms with clean air and those with affected air, and may have some affected air in them. Blue rooms are safe to remove your mask in. You will notice that the jumpsuit has no pockets, only a place to attach the flip knife. You are only to take your belongings, the mask, and this manual with you at all times in the office basement. Good luck.

At this point Ardal wanted nothing more than to turn and leave. He took a long look up the flight of stairs before changing into the jumpsuit, boots, and gloves. He attached the flip knife to the key ring, and attached the ring to a loop on the jumpsuit. He shoved the manual and the mask into the bag, took a long deep breath, and opened the door.

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE