View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Evil Dead

Shift in staples?

Now I don't have any definitive theories or many arguments to support theories. I also do not have the intention to judge wether or not this is a good or a bad thing. It's more of a general impression and I am curious wether or not some of you experience something similar while viewing films.

Over the past few decades, we have had several genre staples in the horror genre. However, in the past few years and the last decade, a lot has changed in the general culture and sometimes I have the impression that horror films reflect that change in different ways.

Sometimes clearly, like with Daddy's Girl, where the director admitted he changed the original ending because it would not work in today's culture. Sometimes, it's more subtle like with the character portrayal. Example: while the stoner himself may have stayed, between say Friday the 13th 3 (with more hippie like stoners) and recent films like Cabin in the woods and the Friday remake, the stoners do seem to have to gotten an update.

We also seem to have developed new staples. Take for example movies like Hush and The Boy, where we see the appearance of the ex-bf who can't let go. With probably more movies with (young) heroines coming up, I can imagine there are still a lot ways you can go with this character.

So what do you think? Is there a shift in character types, storytelling? Are there perhaps other things you noticed and that I left out?