View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Evil Dead

Baskin (2015)

The market for international artsy horror flicks has been surprisingly lucrative in the past few years, with acclaimed films like The Babadook and Goodnight Mommy and even the American productions It Follows and The Witch. But probably the most imaginative and gory one of them all is the Turkish export, Baskin, an ultra-violent and bizarre descent into Hell with a capital "H." In Baskin, a police squad is called to an abandoned building in a neighborhood surrounded by rumors and hearsay. When they enter the building, they unwittingly stumble upon a black mass intent on sending the lawmakers straight to Hell. The narrative of Baskin is a bit of a mess. At times, it's difficult to figure out how certain things connect to each other or what they represent, and I saw the ending coming from a mile away. However, the blurring between reality and fantasy is one of my favorite staples of the horror genre. I love horror movies where you're not completely sure what's real and what's not, and this one illustrated the descent into Hell in a beautifully brutal fashion. The visual aspect of Baskin certainly gives the movie an art-film quality. Director Can Evrenol makes everything from a car crash to a man's intestines being ripped out look stunning. Even if the film's internal logic is difficult to follow and the ending is predictable, Baskin is a nightmarish and inventive Turkish horror film that will give gorehounds a more cerebral torture fest than most.

7/10