View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shroud View Post
I think my point was more that the rental places had some staples and...if the video rental place only has maybe 50 or 100 movies in the horror section, you were bound to watch it eventually.

On the internet, you are spoilt for choice and it seems more likely that those movies would get passed over by those not already familiar with them.
There certainly was some value to the video store's horror section, and seeing the box art. And many stores still have a classic's section (though not many specify horror classics). It certainly narrowed your choices... but like Oro said, what the store happened to have may not have been the best classics.

In my case I can tell you I didn't learn what the horror classics were from the video store. But maybe others did. I got it from a very wide assortment of sources slowly over time, TV, TV reviews, newpaper film reviews, TV film reviews, word of mouth, etc. And circa 2017, I think people looking have even more and specific sources to determine and see the classics.