View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
"Would you like to see the kitchen?" LOL Looks like a fun film. Would guess a totally different movie altogether if you switch year numbers Love from a Stranger (1973). Did you ever see Tower of London? I don't think I had even heard of it.

Isle of the Dead (1945)
7/10

Classic dark drama starring Boris Karloff as a General Pherides, who takes a one day respite from the Balkan Wars of 1912 to take American reporter Oliver Davis (Marc Cramer) to see a nearby island were the General's wife is buried. There's a spectre of plague, and they, with a small group already there, are forced to stay until the threat passes. The visitors then most deal with an accusation that a sickly woman's young greek companion Greek Thea (Ellen Drew) is a vorvolaka, a malevolent force in human form.

The film has rich effective black and white cinematography and starts out intriguing enough, as Karloff is a cold and dutiful general who struggles with conflicting beliefs, civil duties and compassion. As the 1hr 11min film moves into the second half, the characters and scenes lose sharpness and purpose, making for a slow pace and seemingly meandering plot; but the poetic end comes quick enough.
Kind of had a fondness for "Are You going to believe that doddering old Fool or Me?'" or even "Faster! FASTER!!"

Kind of ambivalent of IOTD, certainly not bad, but just doesn't gel all the way for me. Knew there were production problems throughout the shooting which may have caused said feelings.

THE CAINE MUTINY (1953). The "Romantic Leads" are nothing special, but good performances by Van Johnson, Jose Ferrer and Lee Marvin help out. Also, probably Humphrey Bogart's BEST performance-he truly makes the film worth seeing; his twitchy paranoid Captain Queeg is right up there with Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe and Fred C Dobbs. Only spoiler I can possibly offer is Fred MacMurray's character is SUCH a bitch. ***