View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoTenshi View Post
Rose Red is a nice movie :) A bit long though.

John Carpenter's The Thing

Not so fond of alien type movies but decided to watch this anyway. It's alright. Didn't find it that scary, only when you see the disgusting 'alien' is quite creepy. Find the movie a bit too slow for my liking, and depressing. I also hate anything that involve animals, so the dogs scene were very uncomfortable for me. I would say 3 out of 5.

The Possession (2012)

Nothing new.. the kid did a good job of being possessed but didn't find it scary either. Hated the jump cuts and aerial view at the beginning. But somehow I don't feel the movie connects to me, like I couldn't care less for any of the characters. Maybe I don't like any of the actors playing.. I don't feel they have the right emotion for it.

I would say 2.5 out of 5.
I have never seen the Possession. I am surprised by your rating of The Thing. The reason I ask is that I believe that the film is brilliantly directed by John Carpenter. It has an extremely dark, scary atmosphere. Additionally, it is (intentionally or unintentionally) a comment on both the Cold War and AIDS. The acting and character development is really high-quality (despite the large number of characters involved). The story is an interesting science fiction story based on the book "Who Goes There?." It is especially interesting to see how the characters who had so trusted each other slowly descend into paranoia and fear. Of course, one must mention the special effects, which were definitely ahead of their time. The score, despite not being composed by Carpenter, is quite eerie and match the film quite well. Of course, I love both science fiction and dark movies. I would definitely give the film a 10/10. To me, it deserves at least a 9/10 or in your system at least a four out of five. You have a right to your opinion, but it just surprises me.