View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
I am glad that Comcast Cable in New Haven shows a lot of vintage horror movies in prime time. Last night the listings showed Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. They even gave Frankenstein four stars. Recognition at last.

This is a true story. I was talking to a co-worker, a 25 year old woman. When I mentioned Boris Karloff, she asked me who that was. I said, meaning to be sarcastic, "I suppose you never heard of Bela Lugosi either!"
She hadn't.
Sheesh! People who don't recognize the name Bela Lugosi are still making fun of his Hungarian accent. "I vant to drink your blood!"

When my high school teacher saw that I was reading Dracula, by Bram Stoker, she told me I was reading cheap popular trash. (This was back in the 1970s). There is a new edition out of the novel, a Signet Classic, and it has "Signet Classic" right on the front cover. I wish I could get in a time machine and go back and show it to that teacher. "See? I told you it was a classic."
That is scary... a 25-year-old not knowing Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi. They aren't from our era either, it's not like we grew up in the 30s and the 25-year-old didn't. But it gets worse.

A buddy of mine and I were checking out at a regular store, and our cashier was a cool looking 20-something heavy set chic. We were joking around with her and talking about films, and it got a around to my buddy saying, "it's like someone not knowing who Alfred Hitchcock is..." and cashier had never heard of him... Again, it's not like Hitchcock was releasing films when I was alive, but I still knew who he was when I was her age.

Unfortunately, there are more important things than Hitchcock, Karloff and Lugosi that Americans don't know... I watched this vid on youtube where 90% of the Virginia Tech college students, that a fellow student interviewed, didn't know who won the American Civil War.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.