Thread: Remakes
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Evil Dead

Re: Remakes

Quote:
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Aight...

So we got a remake of House of Wax (with Paris Hilton??), we got remakes of Amityville Horror, The Hills Have Eyes, The Fog... Got an adaptation of War of the Worlds, and a rumor of an Exorcist remake.

Is there any originality in Hollywood left? Comic book movies? Remakes and adaptations? Unnecessary sequels?
If you don't care for remakes...don't watch them. Keep in mind however, that there would be very few movies out there for you to see. They have been doing remakes from the beginning! Really consider this. If it wasn't for remakes, there wouldn't be Boris Karloffs' Frankenstein because T. Edison made it first. No Christopher Lee's Dracula because Bela Lugosi made it first. No John Carpenters The Thing, because it was a remake of one in the 50's. Think about it...very rarely does a completely original-never before heard of or seen movie get made. Spiderman was nothing more then a remake of a cheesy Made for TV movie/series from the 70's.

I say let them make all the remakes they want. I, for one, am glad that Hammer films remade Dracula. That Universal remade Frankenstein and that Carpenter remade The Thing. Sure, it's nice to see brand-new ideas come to the screen, but If that is all we watched, we wouldn't have the thousands of good films that we have now...would we?

They're not always good remakes, but I for one, enjoy watching them take an older movie, add new technology and more money and see what they can do with it. Compair The original Thing to the remake. While I really liked the original because it was good and is a classic, James Arness basically played a living carrot from space. John Carpenter took that old film and turned it into a one hell of a Sci-Fi/Horror film, with never before used special effects that nearly all horror buffs like.

I'll keep watching the remakes....thank you very much.

Last edited by Tat2; 02-13-2005 at 08:08 AM.