View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 PM
ventricle

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Yeah apparently there are some fans of the movie who think of Captain Rhodes as the good guy who was "running that monkey farm" and they think of characters like Sarah and John as being some sort of Mary Sues who reflect George Romero's mostly liberal views (black guy hero and feminist heroine). Because you know, everybody hates liberals nowadays. I guess they would rather admire a sexist, racist, power-tripping army guy who shoots the last human survivors and abandons his own men to get eaten alive by zombies so that he can save his own ass...

Oh and as for Dr. Logan, I thought of him as a villain too but not as a particularly evil one. I mean for one thing he never actually killed anybody unlike Rhodes, and his biggest evil was basically chopping up already dead soldiers for his experiments and using them as dog food to reward his zombie specimens like Bub. It was very inhumane but you can't deny that he was getting results unlike Sarah and Fisher and I don't think that the scientists and soldiers ever considered for a moment that the zombies they were taunting and experimenting on were once human beings too. I saw him as more of a mad scientist but compared to somebody like Rhodes he wasn't as evil.
Exactly. Dr Logan was the classic Mad Scientist, secretly trying to chopup and feed the bodies of recently dead soldiers to the zombies for his experiments... the guy was a dead man when they found out -- so classic book smart but totally foolish in human society. His immorality was his complete disregard for the values of soldiers when it got in the way of what experiments he wanted to do.

If Dr Logan asked, the soldiers may have been willing to donate their own bodies (when/if they died), being it's a pretty desperate situation.

It was fine for Sarah to research for a cure longterm, but the scientists had to be working part-time on some practical results, if for no other reason than to save their own skins.

One of the more interesting things in the movie was Rasta guy, who presented an interesting case for enjoying a life as a human on Earth, and leaving "chasing of useless answers" alone. He had a pretty good speech. Not that I'm saying I agree with it, but part of the sentiment I do.