View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Les Diaboliques (1955)

The reason I opened this thread because according to Festered's Thread directory I see that there was no single thread for this movie, moreover somehow the movie failed to made a place in any of HDC's top 100 lists...so I think at least it deserve a thread in this section. If I'm wrong then please say so as I have done the search pretty briefly:o

My review:

At last I have got the chance to see it lately and after I finished the film my expression was...Wow! Wow! and simply Wow!

It completely amazed me! I have known that background music always play a vital part for any movies and specially for thriller & horror. But after watching this great classic I have tremendously fascinated by the art of movie making another time (as far I remember last time 12 Angry Men mesmerized me such a way). Without using any chilling soundtrack the way Clouzot hold it's suspense and unfold the gripping mystery..it was truly timeless! The silence itself played the most haunting part in the film.

I feel somewhat ashamed that I saw it's fucked up remake before the original sometime ago. Cause at that point of time the LD's dvd was totally unavailable here. But luckily last week I found a single copy of it at a store.

Anyway, I have read in a review at imdb.com that Sir Alfred Hitchcock was also very much interested about this story: "After reading Pierre Boileau's novel, Alfred Hitchcock phone the editor in the morning to buy the story for making a film. But another great master, Henri-Georges Clouzot, had phone 30 minutes earlier."..Was it really happened? :)