View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE FLY (1958). This has aged quite well and found I really enjoyed this, much more so than the gooey Cronenberg remake. Love Vincent Price, but he really doesn't have much to do here but look perplexed-good performances by Herbert Marshall and David Hedison, who was nice as could be when we met him. However, I think Patricia Owens really carries the film-she is very good. ****
Totally agree, one of the best horror films of all-time, and it has aged well. (While not in my top ten, it's always in the running.)

I would consider the ending (spiderweb scene) in the top ten of best horror film endings.

The opening of the film with the press scene is truly horrifying. And of course the film is an excellent example of the "prelude" or "frame story" (begin with the ending) story telling technique.

Patricia Owens really does carry the film well, and she kind of has too... although I must say David Hedison does excellent dramatic mime acting.

I did enjoy Cronenberg's The Fly even more than The Fly 1958, and wouldn't call it a remake... as I think it's on the far end of a "re-imagining"... I think the themes are very different.