View Single Post
Old 12-15-2021, 04:11 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Silent night, Deadly night 1984

Good Santa horror.
I've actually never seen Silent Night, Deadly Night 84 (SNDN). I see you liked it. I heard it's pretty unique.

I remember seeing ads on TV. I was just reading some of wiki on it, "Television advertisements, which aired between episodes of family-friendly series such as Three's Company and Little House on the Prairie, led to parents complaining that their children were terrified of Santa Claus." During Little House on the Prairie? That's really funny. I wonder why they chose that slot? Makes you wonder if they were trying to get a reaction that would lead to some free publicity? If so, it worked.

I suppose the execs who ran the ad during Little House probably should have considered if it was appropriate for the children who'd be watching the TV show.

LOL! Oh, did they just refer to Three's Company as "family-friendly"? What kid would watch 3 Co with their parents? Who wrote this?

There were some street protests and the producers pulled the ads and pulled the film from theatres after about a couple weeks, despite good sales.

During the 'At the Movies' film review Siskel and Ebert read the names of the companies, writers and producers and said they should be ashamed of themselves. Wow.

I guess the general idea was, "An editorial published in Variety stated: "Most protests were generated by the feeling that the depiction of a killer in a Santa Claus suit would traumatize children and undermine their traditional trust in Santa Claus." "Undermine their traditional trust in Santa Claus"? What does that mean? Trust Santa about what, not to kill them? "Trust in Santa"? What an odd thought.

My folks never told us there was a Santa Claus. They let us know the gifts were from them! I'm certain I never asked if he was real; but if I had they wouldve told me he wasnt. Personally, I dont think you should lie to your kids. I never found it offensive for depicting Santa as the 80s Santa is mythical, though there was a real St Nick.

There was a short window where I might have wanted to see SNDN. Cause of my age I wouldnt have been able to see it in the theatres (R), as I wouldnt have asked my folks to see this. The local theatre did allow my friends and I see some Restricted films, but my friends wouldnt haven gone for SNDN. By the time I could rent it, I think I had soured a bit on some of the 80s horror 'crudeness for crudeness sake' stuff, just wasnt my personal taste anymore. Course, I'm just making some assumptions about SNDN... I noticed every film is different.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-15-2021 at 04:15 PM.