View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Evil Dead

here's why

I adore the book, and the movie makes some strange choices, in my opinion.
Why did they drop Mr. Cooger, so that "Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show" becomes "Dark's Pandemonium Carnival" or something? In box office terms, I can understand why they made the Dust Witch a gorgeous babe instead of an old woman.

Here's what to me is the strangest thing. In the book, Will's father is the janitor in the town library. In the movie, he runs the library. Other then that, I think that having Jason Robards play Will's father is great casting.

Well, often Hollywood movies have a way of promoting people, putting them up a few steps in the socioeconomic hierarchy. example: In the tv series The Fugitive, you have a small town doctor pursued by a small town cop. In the movie, the small town doctor has become a millionaire Chicago surgeon, and the small town cop has become a Federal marshal.

But it is clearly an impossible job to express Bradbury's prose in cinema terms. Take the chapter in the book where Will's father ponders the meaning of 3 a.m. How could you possibly film that?