View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Nancy Thompson

Unhappy

There was a movie that disturbed me when I was a child, called The Unborn 2 (1994), which featured infanticide. It really affected me as a child and sticks with me to this day. It's probably the reason I am scared of firearms. I watched that scene with my sister. We didn't watch the whole movie, only the scene in question in the maternity ward. I remember where I was when I watched that scene, in my parent's bedroom and my sister changed the channel, probably because she didn't want my parents catching us watching a horror movie. She did the same with The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), as well.

I don't know if it was based on a real-life case or not, but I could see something horrible like it happening in real-life. The sad truth is things like infanticide and the murder of children do happen in real-life. It's a touchy depraved subject, but one that needs to be commented on in horror films. Art imitates life, and it should, in my opinion, even if that truth is hard to deal with. I never finished the novel Pet Semetary, but I remember in the forward by Stephen King he mentions how they lived near a busy highway, where tanker trucks would pass through. Once his son was almost hit by a tanker truck and that incident had Stephen King wondering what if he hadn't reached his son in time.

Horror movies reflect our mortality and the horrors that are all around us, so for a horror movie to show that kind of menace is bold, but probably not a film I could stomach watching again. Gage's death in Pet Semetary was definitely traumatizing but it was realistic and that's what I love about Stephen King, is his ability to create genuinely funny moments and genuinely scary moments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Unborn 2.jpg (74.6 KB, 47 views)
"Fool: Well I don't want in, I want out.
Alice: Sometimes 'in' is out." - Wes Craven, People Under the Stairs
Quote:
"I take back every bit of energy I gave you. You're nothing. You're $%^&." - Wes Craven, A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Ultimate Dream Warrior

Last edited by TheUltimateDreamWarrior; 01-17-2017 at 01:33 PM.