View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 09:05 AM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shroud View Post
I think my point was more that the rental places had some staples and...if the video rental place only has maybe 50 or 100 movies in the horror section, you were bound to watch it eventually.

On the internet, you are spoilt for choice and it seems more likely that those movies would get passed over by those not already familiar with them.
It seems that your question has more than a little bit to do with nostalgia for the ritual of going to the video store, and grabbing a flick based on the box art and the ( sometimes hilariously innarcurate ) summaries on the back.

Nowadays, that process is all but gone, thanks to the internet searches, trailers full of spoilers all over the place, compiled lists of classic/obscure movies, streaming services, and YT reviewers ( which I’m guilty of ), so it’s less impactful and more like there’s a thousand different roadmaps on “ what to watch “. There’s definitely a bit of a disconnect.

It used to be a crapshoot. Sometimes you struck gold with a TCM or Suspiria, and other times you went home with a Nail Gun Massacre or Savage Weekend, and hated yourself. Classics used to be spread by word of mouth from one fan to another, and that does still happen, it’s just in such a grand and easily accessible scale that the thrill of the hunt is lost, and that was a big part of what made finding/discovering the classics so great.

So no, I don’t think it’s less accessible ( rather it’s MORE accessible than ever ), but it’s certainly a far different experience now and I feel that there are some elements that people are totally missing out on, which is sad, but that’s life.

Last edited by Oro13; 12-24-2017 at 09:07 AM.