View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM
old man

Question Help me! this is driving me crazy

I want to say the movie is from the late 80s to early 90s. The movie as a whole is nowhere near as gory as the opening sounds. In the opening we have an Ed Begley Jr. look-alike in his home in a bathrobe let in an attractive young couple to look at his house. When they ask how much it will cost, he says the shirts off their backs. No, literally. They do a bit of a striptease. then he says something like the maintenance will cost them an arm and a leg, and goes after them with a meat cleaver. Then he calls his brother and tells him not to use a certain key or enter a certain room, something like that. Then he takes a hammer a drives an old fashioned key up his nose into his brain.
The main character of the film is the brother of the guy in the teaser, who is a soap opera actor who might be out of a job because his contract is under negotiation and his character is lost at sea. He needs to hold a great party to convince the show execs to keep him on, and the non-supernatural tension comes from attempting to get his brother's old house ready for the party. His supernatural problems come from blue people somehow associated with lost things infesting his house, that you had to have been hypnotized to see. I remember that when he goes to his hypnotist neighbor for help, the focal object he uses to achieve a trance is a bead of sweat dripping down his neighbor's wife's body while she's sunbathing. It's revealed in a flashback that his brother hypnotized himself watching his laundry spin, and that he had caught one of the blue guys by moving his washing machine out into the yard and fishing for one of them.
I've looked through the wikipedia and allmovie listings for every horror movie made from 1975 to 2016 and I can't find it.