View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Anonymous (2011)

With a great production value, set & costume design, the film comes with quite a notorious subject matter like Shakespeare authorship question, mainly inspired by The Oxfordian theory on the matter. I had actually very little idea about the topic until I saw the film & read about it last night. More than 2 hour long running time the movie has a good pace and as a political conspiracy thriller set in Elizabethan era, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Particularly Rhys Ifans (Earl of Oxford) & Vanessa Redgrave (Queen Elizabeth I) were great among the fine cast of actors. But when it comes to the historical facts, characters & accuracy, as far I know, they butchered most of it with a brutal fashion & one of the prime victims was the English poet & playwright William Shakespeare. So if you consider giving it a watch then my suggestion is take it as a "What if..." sort of film that's got an utterly fictional, (at times) comical & darker take on the source & 'mystery' behind the greatest treasures of English literature. Overall, a surprisingly well made film from director Ronald Emmerich, mostly in compare to his earlier big budget crap & disaster films.

>>: B+

Last edited by roshiq; 01-30-2012 at 01:27 AM.