View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I don't think Halloween suffers at all from a low budget. It is the classic horror movie. Scream is a good movie too. Perhaps one of the first to make fun of horror tropes. I think another movie came first and I reviewed it here but I can't remember the name of it right now. Yet Scream is no where near as dark, spooky, unsettling, and scary as Halloween.
Well, sometimes it's funny when you see John Carpenter's cigarette smoke drifting on camera, or when Annie is tries to convince Lindsey they have an "understanding" but then quickly gives up with a sullen "okay." It's funny, but it doesn't hurt the movie. Didn't they have to shoot it on a fast schedule? I imagine Carpenter didn't have time to get the delivery of the lines perfect, but what is amazing is how perfectly his shots are composed. Sadly, the first time I saw it was on TV (pan and scan) so there were times when Michael was on screen and I didn't know it, this is the film that taught me the importance of shot composition.

I wonder though if the generations younger than me prefer Scream. It is faster pace, has cleaner editing, and aside from a couple of lines of dialogue ("what are you doing with a cell phone, son?") it has a modern feel.

I think younger generations might remember some of the terrible sequels in Halloween too. I mean, what if you only ever saw Busta Rhymes or the druid cult stuff?