View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 05:34 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile View Post
To me horror damn near died in 1995 because of the movie Scream (and Tales from the Crypt going off air the next year).
I do agree with you to a certain extent. What really killed horror during this era was the genre becoming to serious... and the genre taking itself to seriously. Scream couldn't just be a slasher flick it had to be a self reflexive parody of the genre. Although I enjoyed the film when it came out I couldn't help but feel it was quite patronizing to a die hard cult trash fan like myself.

The horror films of this era especially after Silence Of The Lambs basically fell more into the thriller category for me. The genre was trying to legitimize itself and I think it suffered for it diluting the purity of horror being a simplistic visceral experience. The early 2000s saw a move back to this but combining it with the more psychological aspects of the 90s thriller films to create some pretty intense flicks especially the stuff that came out of France like High Tension and Inside along with some pretty grizzly underground films like Mordum and Murder Set Pieces.

It was a low point for horror with Scream at the forefront.