View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Evil Dead

Tron: Legacy (2010)

Having such a wide-eyed adoration for TRON my whole life, the most important requirement of a sequel was that it paid respect to the original. This it did, while still telling a new, engaging and exciting story. Well executed. Someone should tell George Lucas that this is how it's done. This second time around may have been even better than the first.

7/10.

The Fly (1986)

Some of the best body horror ever put on film, 'nuff said. Still great after about my 5th viewing. Can't wait for Cronenberg's remake of his remake.

9/10.

Cube (1997)

I forgot that I had already seen this one, which has to count against it for not leaving a big impression. I still enjoyed it the second time around though. Good psycho-social thriller with a few bloody good kills. I suspect this movie had some influence on the original Saw.

7/10.

Breaking the Waves (1996)

After expressing my appreciation for Antichrist, I took Fearonsarms' recommendation and checked out this other Lars von Trier movie. At nearly three hours, it was an investment and a slow-mover to boot, but that was to be expected. Well worth it. I'm not sure who to hate more, the evil husband, the pious, excommunicating puritans, or maybe even the main character, Bess, for being so frustratingly stupid. Plenty of feel-bad to go around, leaving damage deep in your gut for days afterwards.

7/10.

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Pretty decent revenge black comedy with smart, albeit not-so-subtle, social and economic commentary. Stupid good cast. I had to downgrade it though, because hearing Jenifer Aniston talk so filthily, ironically, made me a little sad.

6/10.

The Descent (2005)

After about the 5th time watching this, it still doesn't get old. Seemingly such a simple plot, and yet the horror is beautifully multi-layered, ranging from the natural horror of being trapped underground, to the psychological horror of friends deceiving friends, to the almost extraneous horror of cave-evolved rednecks. I still remember my first time watching, when I knew absolutely nothing of what was to come. Neil Marshall, you had me at "F--- the rope bag. Okay, move! Now!"

9/10.

Last edited by _____V_____; 02-11-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: back-to-back posts