View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
Not a David Lynch fan? He's pushed horror so far towards the surreal that it fell out the window.

Weirder the better for me. Not just in the story but in the look of it. evil dead is surreal gore.
I liked the original Twin Peaks, especially the ones Lynch and Foster wrote and Lynch directed (which is actually only a few of the episodes). I liked Eraserhead, cool and original, but I wouldn't say I loved it. Actually, the first 3/4ths of Dune is my favorite Lynch material.

It's a mixed bag, each film stands on its own feet... it's not a thumbs up or thumbs down on surrealism in Horror film... it's done well and poorly.

I'm just saying you have to know what horror you're doing -- it may require some sturdy structure before you surreal it. You know what I mean? It depends. Reality itself is a contrast to a surreal film... Yellow Submarine is one of my favorite films... but "entirely nightmare" The Beyond 1981 just kind of pissed me off. Roger Ebert gave it 0.5 out of 4 stars, which I throw out there to say, the guy knew surrealism in film, it wasn't 'the more surreal the better' to him.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-23-2017 at 07:37 PM.