View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM
For Vendetta

Hour of the Wolf (aka) Vargtimmen (1968)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

Straw Dogs (1971)
Quote:
Understanding that it's a difficult film to categorize, and I've already made my case for why it should be considered, I believe it's not only an important influence in the history of horror, but also a damn good horror movie.

For those that are still not convinced it should be a candidate, do a Google search for "straw dogs 1971 horror." The slew of horror web sites that have reviewed it is never-ending, and it's almost universally praised by those reviewers.

As for its importance in the history of horror film, two words: home invasion. You can't review movies like The Strangers or Ils without consciously or subconsciously comparing it to Straw Dogs. And most likely, Straw Dogs will still win. Besides claiming the fame of launching a horror subgenre, it also played a large part in upping the level of acceptable violence in film, especially horror films. Of course, it was not acceptable at the time, as it received an X rating and was later subject to a video release ban.

Judging the movie purely on its horror elements -- not just its influence on the genre -- there's plenty to draw from. ***SPOILERS*** The town simpleton accidentally killing a local girl is a chapter straight from Mary Shelley. The scene where the giant bear trap is painstakingly set, then hoisted as a centerpiece in the living room is a foreshadowing of the unthinkable release of the trap, which of course does occur in the final scene. I actually recoiled when the wife found the family cat hanging dead in the bedroom closet. When an intruder's hands were nailed to a window sill, leaving his throat inches away from being slit with the broken glass, I was reminded of a trap in a Saw movie. And more than anything else, the idea that regular, good ole' kids from town, working on your roof, drinking milk from your kitchen, and socializing with your wife, could at some point become your very worst nightmare -- this is the reason I lock my door at night. To disqualify this film as just a "thriller" would be a cop out. There's nothing thrilling about your wife being raped in your own living room. And then again by the next guy.

With great acting and character development, a constant state of tension, and two of the most memorably horrific scenes in history, Straw Dogs deserves a spot in HDC's 100 Years of Horror. - Giganticface

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Quote:
I'm almost inclined to retract my suggestion to add it because it is so debatable. It's clearly not a horror genre movie, the cheery British tone plays more like Terry Gilliam than any horror movie, and a good portion of the film (the middle, prison portion) has no relationship to horror at all.

However, if these lists are about the most important movies in horror history (as opposed to the best horror movies in horror history), it would be a shame not to recognize it. The new level of on-screen violence, the trademarked and stylized predatorial antagonist, the themes of home invasion and physical and psychological torture, the creepy music and visuals, employing metal tools as torture instruments on the eyeballs, revenge torture, the fact that now when I hear "Singin' in the Rain" or Beethoven's 9th, I think of brutal violence and rape -- all of these are significant contributions to the horror genre, not sci-fi, which is the genre the movie is more likely to be classified as. - Giganticface

Godzilla vs the Smog Monster (aka) Gojira tai Hedorâ (1971)
Quote:
A fantastic, innovative and scary film. It's psychedelic, they included animated sequences, amazing set and colors, use of jazz and acid rock, where they mix jazz in with the spoken parts, including rather bizarre things, like the eggs of Monster. It's the first film to attack the issue of pollution, at the same time it's a metaphor for the evil/neglect of mankind.

The horror scenes include a coastal giant sludge tadpole menacing a child's father, and then the child slicing it with his knife. In a nightclub, slug from monster pours down the steps, like the blob (the ending of the scene with the slug covered cat meowing is classic!). The Smog Monster flies over a children camp exercising, releases it's smog on them, and they're left as smoking skeletons (child's film?). The "flower children" teens are partying at night when a GIGANTIC Hedora walks up, even towering over Godzilla (genius). A true period piece.

If you haven't seen Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster, you are missing an artistic film treat! A truly special film. - Sculpt

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

A Warning to the Curious (1972, TV)
Quote:
M.R James Ghost story from the BBC.... On first look you might think this out of place in a 70s list stocked full of real classics of modern horror, but its exactly why it made my list. It is such a simple but effective ghost story and a beautiful adaptation with a strong lead performance from Peter Vaughn. This adaptation is all about atmosphere and storytelling, which is what horror is all about. Really worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, the sort of horror that should be watched on a dark, stormy night with the lights low. - Straker

The Other (1972)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____, Sculpt & metternich1815

Magic (1978)

Quote:
Fascinating, and unusually scary film about a ventriloquist who can't put his dummy down, even for 20 secs... he's insane! Anthony Hopkins does an incredible job of acting and ventriloquy. - Sculpt

Nosferatu the Vampyre (aka) Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & metternich1815

Cat People (1982)
Quote:
This is just a brilliant film with mind-blowing imagery, stunning art direction, stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. - neverending

Christine (1983)
Quote:
Very sharp and slick horror movie by John Carpenter! - Sculpt

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-03-2013 at 07:46 AM.