View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Living Dead

What I mean is that, looking around this forum, I see that most of us have seen relatively the same movies. Not altogether, but there are some that most if not all of us have seen. Yes, some of us may have seen them on TV or something. But they still may have been also found (even if later on) at the video store. I"m not talking nostalgia here or the thrill of the hunt.

It's just that, that particular thing from our past allowed us to share certain (movie related) experiences. Yes, sometimes the rental place just let us re-watch things we had already seen. Yes, sometimes we were told about a good movie from a friend....and then found it at the rental place. And sometimes we picked movies that looked good near as we could tell from the box/description. There were some movies, though, that were probably in most places and that is probably why (or one of the reasons why) we were able to share those experiences.

I just don't see streaming as something that will end in much exposure to the movies that are such common-knowledge to us.

TV has shown some improvement, though, since it went digital and they needed to fill in all that dead-air. Now we've got channels like Comet and since Svengoolie went national, there's the younger generation's Elvira, showing them the old black-and-white horrors.