View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Opening credits role. A far shot of the Island. Zoom into the middle of the town. Stalls are being set up. Fruit put out, people talking. Shop door open up. The camera zooms to the church doors. They open up and Despare walks out. He looks serious.

Despare: Morning Pinky.

A young woman turns around to him and smiles. She's standing at a stall full of gems and jewelery.

Pinkfloyd: Morning Despare. Sorry I couldn't come to the service this morning...

Despare: It's okay. I'll do a quick recap on Sunday.

Pinkfloyd: Thanks. Hey, can I interest you in a gem?

Despare: Not at the moment. I'm just off for the weeks provisions. But great to see you.

Pinkfloyd: You too.

He walks on past some more people. It's bustling in the town with people selling silk and silver and much more. He goes up to a shop next to the Blacksmith's. It's a butchers. The man in there had long hair and a beard and is busy chopping meat. He looks up and grunts.

Despare: You can manage more than that can't you?

Massacre Man: Jesus Christ...

Despare: Oi! I thought we spoke about this.

Massacre Man: Sorry Desp. Hey, do you know what the weirdo's been on about?

Despare: No...he looked a bit funny yesterday. Twitching and all. But that's to be expected from him.

Massacre Man: Been preaching the end of the world. Says something about a black abyss swallowing us up from a country down near Germany. Luxem something.

Despare: I'd ignore it. Anyway, just here for the usual.

Massacre Man: Got it right here Desp. And good to see some colour in your cheeks again.

He smiles and nods at Despare. He reaches under the desk for Despare's food when the sausage he was chopping falls on the floor.

Massacre Man: FUCK!

Despare crouches down and sure enough, a few seconds later the sausage flies over his head into the wall. When he looks up Massacre Man is smiling with the bag held out.

Despare: Lay off the Opium hey?

He takes the bag and walks out. He walks into the next shop. It's a bakers. A young man is in there. He's handing out cakes to a large crowd. He looks up and sees Despare.

Alkytrio: Hey! Great service today- People can you stop BITING!

Desapre: Hello Alky. The Usual?

Alkytrio: Honestly, you never go for variety...

He throws a tied up bag over the crowd.

Alkytrio: Gotta deal with these lot now. You still coming around tonight?

Despare: Yes. I'll see you then. Goodbye!

He hurries out. As he's about to walk into the next shop something trips him up. He turns around to see who it was. It's a short person, only about three feet off the ground dressed in a sheet of old cloth. His face is distorted and one of his arms appears to be shorter than the other.

Despare: Oh. Hello Freak. Shame I didn't see you in the service today.

Freak: End of world. It is nigh. Crazy men make. Hadrons!!!

Despare: Poor boy...Listen, I'm going to the grocers. Would you like something?

Freak: eerf serutaerc lacigam!

Despare: Freak. Did you hear me?

A woman walks over.

Monalisa: Honestly Vicar. I think it's great how hard you try with him. But I'm afraid he has to leave.

Despare: What do you mean?

Monalisa: Royal order...He's being put to better use.

Despare: Oh no...you don't mean. Come on. Please!

Monalisa: The king has ordered.

Despare: Wait a moment...

He rummages around in his pocket and pulls out a small bag. He gives it to Mona.

Monalisa: I'm the Town guard. I can't do this. My job will be on the line.

Despare: I'll get him away. just take that and say he was gone.

She nods, then walks away. Despare quickly walks Freak beside the Butchers in a small alley.

Despare: Stay here.

He hurries off into the third shop. It's full of boxes, each one packed to the brim.

Despare: Oh no. Not again!

A man appears from a back room.

Crabapple: Hello chum! Or should I say. Heaveno chum! I made a funny.

Despare: We've been over this. Those jokes aren't cool with me.

Crabapple: Yes cap'n! Say, what can I get you. We've got a lot of variety.

Despare: It's apple week...

Crabapple: Best week of the fortnight! But no. Look. Variety.

He begins jumping around pointing at "different" apples as he goes.

Crabapple: Red ones, Green ones, Golden ones, Big red ones, Small green ones, Red and green ones, mouldy ones, dead ones, half eaten ones. The possibilities are endless.

Despare: Okay. I'll take three red ones and half a dozen Golden ones.

Crabapple: SURE!

He dances around, picking them up and putting them in a brown sack. He hands it to Despare.

Despare: Thankyou. I'm going to pay you as soon as I can.

Crabapple: The dreams have returned...

Despare turns around with a shocked look on his face.

Despare: What did you say?

Crabapples face is serious and his eyes glazed over.

Crabapple: The screaming of the innocent with never go away. No comfort. Your lifes work is ruined for the pain.

Despare: Stop it...

Crabapple's voice is no more than an eerie, monotone whisper now.

Crabapple: Daddy. Daddy. Come back Daddy. Where are you going. No Daddy. No.

Crabapple's eyes widen then shut for a moment. He opens them again then smiles.

Crabapple: How can I help?

Despare ignores him and walks out of the shop. he leans against the wall and breathes heavily. Suddenly he jerks forward and runs around to beside the butchers to the alley. Freak is gone.

Despare: Oh dear...

Fade out. End credits role.

The Ferrets like it...

Last edited by ferretchucker; 09-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.