View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:48 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I just have a feeling that it will be another Resident Evil 4 copycat just like Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.
This is a personal sore point for me.
I loved resident evil. Loved it.
I was a teen in the ps1 era, and I remember seeing the first RE previewed in a magazine (EGM if I'm not mistaken...not sure if that even still exists) and I so looked forward to playing it.
Didn't disappoint.

I played RE1, yeah...not sure if it was what I expected but damn it had me on edge.
RE2 came along and fucking blew me away.
RE3...hm, not so much, but still enjoyable - perhaps it was that we'd seen largely the best the platform would offer from RE2?

I say through survivor, a kind of horrible "on rails" shooter.

Then came Code Veronica, which for me was a step in the right direction, evolution/perspective wise for the series...it actually wowed me a little bit to see it looking so much fresher again (I played this one on dreamcast which I still think is an excellent looking system), and playing with some of the legacy characters again, with a slightly new and different storyline and group of antagonists.
I actually put this one right next to RE2 for my personal liking.

I played around on a gamecube for a while, saw the first RE remake and RE:0, and again, like with Code Veronica, I thought "Hey, this is a step in the right direction to evolve the series".
I never finished either of those due to only having access to a borrowed console, but I'd really love to check them out again sometime.

Then came RE4.
I know it's got fans. I know they'll hate me saying this...but RE4 functionally killed Resident Evil for me. That damn over the shoulder perspective. The character felt sluggish. I didn't like the storyline. I just found myself not caring. So I turned it off after about a half hour. Then I tried it again, years later, at the insistence of a few people that if I just gave it a chance, it was one of the best horror games EVER. Tried it again. Got a bit further...just...was not engaged.
RE 5&6 just look like more polished clones of that.

...so yeah, I'd hope the RE2 remake pays enough respect to the original to take a step back into the perspective we know and love. Not entirely the same. I want it looking good. I want the character animations smoother and faster. I'd like some new moves similar to the first remake.
If they RE4 it, I just won't play.

Quote:
Resident Evil 2 Remake confirmed to have the action style behind the shoulder camera. It still looks very good and I'll probably get it day one. But I'm a bit disappointed they didn't try to mix things up a bit or have it like the original Resident Evil remake.
Oh. Right. Guess that about puts me out.

Quote:
I think instead of wasting $300 on a PS4 just for a few overpriced games I might get one of those retro game consoles like they sell at FYE.
Make sure you look at some reviews first. Lots of these are known to have issues, even the semi official one.
The sega mega drive (genesis) one for example is known to have really horrible sound.

If you can go on facebook, one guy does a collection of emulators and games that run on TV via HDMI, and comes with snes style controllers. Well over 5000 games on there. Arcade and home consoles.
It's called the "microcade" and I think runs off something called raspberry pi, if that means anything to you.
Hell of a collection to play around with.
That said, he does operate out of Australia so you might have to look into getting him to send it.
Money well spent though, if youre a fan of the oldskool.