View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 AM
Little Boo

Non-supernatural, non-slasher, non-gore focused scary movies

Hey guys, I LOVE scary movies but am very limited in which I watch by various factors. I can't stand supernatural movies since I'm very religious and it freaks me the heck out, I also hate slashers and gore focused horrors/thrillers since it's feels like (to me) it's all about the kills, the suffering, the gore etc with very illogical and stupid characters. I'm very empathetic so I find very hard to watch slashers (I'm not saying anything about anyone else, I just personally put myself in others situation and don't like watching actual harsh suffering and brutality, it makes me very emotional). I love something that's a mystery or has a good twist that works, something that's more about tension and atmosphere, with relatable characters etc.

I like being scared, not disgusted or grossed out. Now I understand completely that that's basically the definition of "horror", it shouldn't be pleasant, or chill, it's all about that anything can happen, and shock gore or disturbing/brutal themes can be scary, I get that, but it's not really for me.

Here's some movies that I love:
- 10 Cloverfield Lane
- A Quiet Place
- Signs
- Jurassic Park (the original)
- Coherence

- Super 8/Stranger Thing series (it's like 95% focused on the kids and 5% focused on the monster(s), which sucks, but still loved them)

Movies that I liked:
- The Visit
- The Village (kinda, I felt like it could have been much, much better)
- Split (I just feel really bad watching bad shit happen to young girls)
- Panic Room (was a bit meh, but I enjoyed it)
- I Am Legend
- The Invitation (wasn't a fan of the "cult" themes, but other than that I enjoyed it)
- Alien (I know it's basically a space slasher, but I don't know, it's one of the first "scary" movies I watched, and the effects and stuff were not that good, plus it felt more focused on the terrifying atmosphere than the kills, and that's why I can't stand something like AvP 2: Requiem)

I guess basically monster/mystery/psychological is what I like. I tried watching The Silence of the Lambs but I absolutely cannot stomach cannibalism, it literally makes me throw up, even the mention of it. I'm weak I know, but it disgusts me. It's a shame cause I heard that it's one of the greats and exactly what I was looking for.

I know this will be extremely hard since I've automatically eliminated like 99% of the horror/thriller genre, but if anyone could suggest something I could check out, it would be greatly appreciated. :) <3

Last edited by Riseaus; 02-07-2019 at 05:24 AM.