View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 03:10 PM
ventricle

Concussion (2015)
9/10

"In Pittsburgh, accomplished pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu uncovers the truth about brain damage in football players who suffer repeated concussions in the course of normal play."

Much better than I expected. There is plenty of drama in the real-life story, and Dr. Omalu is a fascinating figure, and Will Smith does a fine job bringing him to life. The story has much to do with conviction, values, self-sacrifice and hard decisions.

King King (2006) Netflix
7/10

I don't want to give too much away... but a film, and merchant ship, crew discover a giant gorilla and bring it back to 1933 New York... and back in 1933 New York, they hadn't seen a giant gorilla, not even from the future. It's a mildly fun film, with mildly likable or hate-able characters. There's some nice big screen CG visuals, especially in New York, but basically every action sequence goes on much too long. The film runtime is 3 hours and 7 mins. I think the film would have been more enjoyable if it were cut more tightly. I did quite enjoy the first 40 or so minutes, which take place before the ship leaves NY... which is a good part of the film to nail; as we do get a fair handle on the main characters, and it pay dividends.

I would consider King Kong (2006) as my least favorite film of that name, after King Kong (1933) and King Kong (1976). Kong: Skull Island (2017) was better too.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-22-2018 at 04:17 PM.