View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 06:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
The Last Man on Earth 1964 ★★★★

A shot of Vincent Price's voice and a classic from the sixties. Because I can and because I felt like it.
One of my favorite Price films along with Haunted Hill and Laura. Arguably one of the first modern zombie films, except they're declared vampires.

Son of Kong (1933)
6/10

It's a one-hour film that's really kid friendly. There's a sweetness to the main characters. They don't get back to Skull Island until the film is more than half over. The white colored child of Kong, Little Kong, does funny things and makes funny faces.

The stop-motion is done by Willis O'Brien, same artist who did the work in the original King Kong. Little Kong fights three beasts, but it all seems unnecessary, and not particularly dynamic, you just have to wait for it to be over.

SPOILER
I saw Son of Kong as a child. The ending pulled my heart strings when Little Kong lifted the protagonist over his head out of the flood waters as Little Kong drowns. Watching it this second time, I did pick up something new... which is Little Kong got his foot caught in the rocks, that's why he drowned. As a child I just thought Little Kong wasn't tall enough to have his head out of the water and was just concerned with saving the man's life. Getting the foot caught is a novel solution to seeing Little Kong drown, as he wouldn't have fit on the small lifeboat the protagonist got into to survive the flooded island.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-26-2024 at 08:32 AM.