View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Attack the Block simply did not have that. Just horrible people who I wanted to see get gobbled by space aliens.

Disappointed.
Well, sad to hear that you didn't like it. The beginning was supposed to be a normal, every day occurrence in the lives of British thugs. One can't expect central characters to always be heroes, or do-gooders. Belonging to this country where I live in, I can accept these bad character leads and see why/how they do what they do. Maybe you looked too much into it, and that spoiled the rest of the film for you.

Anyways...

Ah, the found footage films. Low-key, down to earth, common and modest stuff make them more believable. But when you take them to the big-budget arena, you need to be on your toes to make it click.

I liked the premise of Apollo 18. It could have been more believable if there was something on the lines of Paranormal Activity in this (which I was sorta looking for, from the beginning). But as the story progressed and I started to see the reasons of this film being a sci-fi horror, I had the distinct feeling that this should have been the fodder for a commercial venture, instead of a found footage film. The latter half was novel (at least the makers were thinking of something different), and it made you feel that there were too many things happening at once. Still, the director manages to keep things taut, and you will find yourself biting your nails at least once, if not more.

The atmosphere created by the lighting and the bleak, silent surface of the moon was quite excellent, and the 3 principal actors contributed a lot to it as well. The script was good, although the pace was a bit slow in the first 20-25 minutes. The effects were okay, and coupled together with the multiple camera angles, added a lot of show to the proceedings. All in all, a pretty decent entertainer if you want to enjoy the film for what it is. If you are one of those geeky brainiacs who will look for reasons behind the reveal, you better stay away from this.

* * * ½