View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Little Boo

I personally feel it's the other way. I feel that if anyone says anything thoughtfully critical about any film now, a chorus pops up saying "stop overthinking things", "it's just a movie stop thinking about it" "whiners can't enjoy anything" etc,...pretty much no one can have any slightly opposite or disagreeing opinion on a film without being hushed as hurting people's feelings by the "forced positivity" crowd.

And it does my head in how people zealously defending a film can use someone's fan status to invalidate their position either way ..for example if a non-horror fan hated the new Freddy film, they can say "well you don't like the series, of course you didn't get it" but when a fan didn't like it the same person will say "well, your a huge fan who went in with high expectations, of course you couldn't let yourself enjoy it".

I've been hanging around comic book stores for years and seen lots of real life Simpsons style store owners making fun of and bullying customers for their choices, so I know what these people are trying to fight against, but I think its gone to far. Hollywood directors aren't vulnerable children who need an esteem boost - and if we had always had that "just enjoy everything and don't whine" laid back attitude we'd still be watching films like Batman and Robin and Van Damme's Streetfighter.