View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I think alot of people hate the movie out of homophobia.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
First of all, was completely unaware of anyone involved's sexual identity until this.
Not to mention think about the target audience for such a film in the 80's.
What, 16-25? (not saying those outside couldn't have enjoyed it), I'd say that's a fair assessment.
In the pre-internet age of 85, I don't see a lot of people even knowing such a thing in the first place. I mean where would they get it? Junk mags?
I can't even recall those kind of publications really focusing on that unless a person was outrightly "out", I could be wrong, I didn't myself read them as a child.

I think a lot of people, didn't like nightmare 2, because it tried a little too hard to seperate itself from the first one, and introduced a different concept of the character.
Some people actually like it for said differences though - I recall it being one of the darker chapters in the series.

But yeah...while the article indicates hollywood might've been homophobic, I think it's very much a stretch to say that the casual viewer would make *that* their issue with the movie.
I mean sure, if you have some homophobic bigot watching it after having found out this news, I'm sure someone like *that* would take issue and allow it to impede their enjoyment of the movie - though I don't think this was "a lot" of cases, and certainly not the larger part of why the movie didn't go down too well at the time.