View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 01:24 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
STAR WARS (1977). Didn't see this until 1982 when I started dating my Wife and she was amazed. really had no interest back in 1977 and once FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND made an abrupt leap from the classics to all SW issues, even less so.
Time has been kind and even though I'm not a huge fan of the series, still enjoy this and so neat seeing the young unknown cast and wonderful Peter Cushing. Still don't know why Lucas had to dick around so much with this version-find it distracts more than supports. ***1/2
Yep, most of it distracts. And worst of all, Lucas changed the Han Solo character, and the entire film, when Lucas had Greedo shoot at Han before Han shot Greedo (the end of the bar scene). The simplified way of describing the implications is to say Han changes through his experiences, specifically through the influences of Luke, Leia and Ken-obi. 'Washing clean' the character of Han in that awkward and butchered scene greatly diminishes the film.

It's a fun scene to argue about too. One can say Greedo, the mercenary, had already suggested he was going to shoot Han dead for the money, so what difference does it make if Greedo went as far as shooting at him? I'd suggest Han doesn't bother taking chances on his own life, and others' lives are not likely supremely valuable; and so, in the original version, Han shoots Greedo dead as a matter of course. Pretty darn important character trait.

Hated the scene of Han and Jabba... like the audience is going to be impressed and entertained with the film's editing solution of Han stepping on Jabba's tail. It's such a ridiculous scene that trips the film's flow and vital sense of 'reality' holding the suspension of disbelief.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.