View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 07:54 AM
RUN RABBIT...RUN!!!

I did some researched for my site about the whole hellraiser thing , and I found this about the comics back then

Berni Wrightson. Alex Ross. Simon Bisely. Mike Mignola. To anyone who knows comic books, this would constitute a fantasy bullpen...the imagery generated by these artists turn ink and paint into gold on a regular basis. Add the talents of authors like Neil Gaiman, Phil Nutman, Jan Strnad, and even Matrix co-creator Larry Wachowski into that mix. Sounds fiendishly good doesn't it? Now put all of that talent to work under the banner of one of the most distinguishable and lucrative properties in the horror genre. Can you feel the excitement? Now take creator of that property, one of the most regaled and outspoken dark fantasy writers of this past generation, and give him the creative access to keep the vision true. Admit it, you are covered in gooseflesh. Just the mere thought of all the devilment that could be wrought by such gifted hands is mind boggling.

You ask, "What is this dream project, and when is it coming to a bookshelf near me?"

Well, dear reader, I'm here to tell you that it all ready happened.

In 1988, Marvel Comics editors Archie Goodwin and Dan Chichester signed the irrevocable Clive Barker to oversee a quarterly, mature content anthology comic book based on his most popular creation, Hellraiser. (Just in case you have been living under a rock for the past fifteen years, I'll run it down for you: Inspired by the novella "The Hellbound Heart", Hellraiser is the grand epic of Leviathan, Hell's Lord of Order, its minions, the Cenobites, and the war waged against the souls of Man through the weaknesses of the Flesh, using an intricate French puzzle box as a mysterious catalyst.) This title was to be the new flagship book for Marvel's long-neglected Epic line of creator-owned properties, and with the amount of talent stacked in it's pages all impressions were that the sky was the limit.

Book 1 hit store shelves in, appropriately enough, October 1989, sporting a spectacular cover by John Bolton. Bolton also provided interior work on one of the four short stories, as did the legendary Berni Wrightson, Dan Spiegle, and Ted McKeever. Dan Chichester (who is cited by Barker as the "driving force behind the Hellraiser comic") provided a foreward, and Barker himself proffered forth an introduction, a tradition he would continue to do until Book 4. Additionally, artists such as Mark Chiarello and Mike Mignola provided striking Hellraiser-themed pin-ups in-between the stories.

The title was released in Marvel's Prestige Format, which used a better printing process and glossy paper stock to accommodate the book's hand painted artwork. This proved to be a double-edged sword, as the book looked great but hit the shelves with a hefty $4.95 cover price (nearly four times the common $1.25 regular comic price tag). Although the book sold well, the price proved to be a stumbling point for the then-culture of comic book speculators, who were looking for lower priced books that would garner big returns in several months.

The stories in the first six issues presented Hellraiser content that was scattered across both the Globe and Time, in genres ranging from Westerns to Victorian melodrama. Some of the creators of interest in this varied selection of the title include; Kevin O'Neil, author Phillip Nutman, Stan Drake (of Blondie fame), film-scribe Peter Atkins, the husband and wife team Dave Dorman and Lurene Haines, and the unlikely (for comics anyway) Hollywood team of Bill Mumy, Miguel Ferrer, and Bill (Ren and Stimpy) Wray. (For a complete listing of the comics stories and their credits, might I direct you to the Bibliography section of that author's web site: www.clivebarker.com .) Also of note in this period of the book's run is Jan Strnad's ongoing story involving a character named Face. The story chronicled the trevails of an actor going through the process of becoming one of Leviathan's Chosen Ones; an element that foreshadowed the next editorial era of the book.

Pinhead and his gruesome leather clad disciples continued their campaign of terror against the Flesh until Book Seven, when Leviathan decided to kick it up a notch and proceeded in a full scale assault on Mankind. Assembling a collection of it's finest Cenobites to spearhead the final charge, Leviathan's force engaged in a diabolically subversive plot to open the portal to Hell. So was born the title's first multi-issue story arc, "The Devil's Brigade".
the act of slow piercing is a transcendent spiritual event. there is no pain just sensation you observe the body, experiencing the sensation, surrender to the experience feel the indorful lush as the surgical steel slices through