View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
It has come to my attention that some here were wondering how certain Japanese monsters got their names. Thats a good question something I use to wonder myself. Here is what I know about the monsters names. Godzilla got his names from a guy who worked at Toho studios he was named after an employee. The employees name was a Mr. Gojira Gojira traslated to english is Godzilla. The 1st monster Godzilla fought in Godzilla Raids Again 1955 was a monster named Angilas the Japanese spelling is Angirasu. Angirasu/Angilas was named after the Dinosaur Ankylosaur. Angilas was a giant Ankylosaurus. The monster Varan whos name in Japanese is Baran is a giant Komodo Dragon seen that the name Varan comes from the latin word Varanus meaning monitor Lizard or komodo Dragon.
The name Mothra is Mosura in Japanese and Mothra is just a giant Moth of course that in the movies has a few powers. Rodan is Radon in Japanese and like Angilas Rodan is a prehistoric Dinosaur a giant Pteranodon. KingGhidora is spelled KinguGidora in Japanese the monster is a giant 3 headed flying Dragon that emits gravity beams from its 3 mouths. The giant Robot Mogera is a Robot that can burrow underground like a mole hence the name Mogera.

The name Ebera is spelled Eibra in english Eibra is a giant lobster and the name Minira in english is Minya the name of Godzillas adpoted son in Son of Godzilla. In japanese the name is pronounced Mee-Nee-Ra in english its Mean-Ya The name Kumonga is translated to Speiga in english Kumonga is a giant spider and the name Kamakirasu is translated to Giamantis Gimantis is of course a giant praying mantis. The grey dinosaur named Gorosarusu or in english Gorosarus is a giant Allosaurus. the monster Baragon was named Baragon because Toho just thought the name sounded cool.

The name Hedora means pollution in Japanese so no doubt Hedora is the Smogmonster in Godzilla vs. the Smogmonster 1971. Then there is Gaigan translated in english i Gigan he is a giant Cyborg from space and then Megaro in english is Megalon who is a giant beele or Roach cyborg from earth. Then there is JetJaguar a robot that can grow to the size of other giant monsters Jet Jaguar in Japanese is JetoJagua. Then there is KingU Sesa in english is KingSeesar who is a giant Dog deity and Titanosarusu another fictional Dinosaur in english the name is Titanosarus. Manda is a giant sea serpent and Maga a giant Walrus. Then MekaGojira is spelled MechaGodzilla in english MechaGodzilla is a giant robot built in Godzillas image.

Thats enough for the Japanese monsters name Game for now i will continue with part 2 another day. I will start with monsters from the 1980s to present.