View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 09:26 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DAY OF THE DEAD (1985). As a big Romero Zombie fan (NIGHT and DAWN are in my top 10), read the FANGORIA articles before DAY's release and was at the theater the third day it was out, Recall the ushers having conniptions keeping underage kids out of the theater!
While I thought it had great Savini FX and a barnstormer of an opening, just was not that impressed overall..the film just did not feel complete.
A couple of years later, saw a VHS rental of it for $1 and after a couple of viewings, did not think it was so bad and by the fourth viewing,I really felt that this was a pretty good little film. News travelled slower in those days and after reading about George's tribulations making it, may affection went up for it.
Although I think NIGHT and DAWN are better (Similar to the original Star Wars trilogy), enjoy this one very much. Savini's work is boffo and some good performances here, particularly by Joe Pilato, whose Rhoades is SUCH a asshole that he's almost likable.
Have met many Romero people at Conventions and for the most part, ALL of them were great. Joe is probably the most fun as He stays "In Character", but truly engaging and cool sense of humor. ****
Day of the Dead is pretty fascinating, it keeps your interest, has some genuine intrigue and suspense going on within the compound group. Horror-wise, we get a glimpse with the Dr's more Savini inspired anatomical experimentations. A finely written scene in John's cozy dwelling, between Sarah and John (the rasta helo pilot), suggesting their research is folly. There's a lot of unexpected subjects in Day, which is good because the long mall stretch in Dawn was completely played out. Some critics bash the 'over acting' acting and others the lengthy verbal fighting, but I'm not sure they really would have wanted more of the same if they got it.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.