View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
For Vendetta

Cannibalism/ Redneck Horror

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Ravenous (1999)

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

"One word comes to my mind when I think of this film. Brutal. I remember watching this years ago and feeling slightly sick. Why? Because the filmmaker makes it clear that NO ONE is safe.
A family that in many ways may resemble your own unwittingly pitted against a family of very human monsters, its a simple idea that plays on a few of our worst fears. Its raw and often unapologetically violent. But its more than that, its an emotional punch to the stomach. It certainly is an influential film, and let's face it, far less effective films have about beat the idea to death. And no, its not a perfect film by any means. The low budget is all too obvious but in my opinion it has never lost its ability to shock.
And so The Hills Have Eyes remains one of Wes Craven's most effective, disturbing films." - Jenna26

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

"Don’t go into the creepy farmhouse...seriously, don’t do it.
This is one of those movies that fucked me up. I desperately wish I could go back and re-experience it for the first time. Everything about this picture oozes terror. The creepy production design to the sweaty environment to the unsettling sound design/score all enhance the very natural fear everyone should feel when faced with a human flesh-wearing psychopath with a chainsaw and his lunatic cannibal clan. Power tools have never been the same, ever since TCM hit the big screens." - Roderick Usher

Two Thousand Maniacs! aka 2,000 Maniacs (1964)

"When it comes to buckets of fake blood combined with bad acting and an over-the-top storyline does anybody really beat Herschell Gordon Lewis?
Six Northerners are brought to the small town of Pleasant Valley to take part in their "centennial celebration" in which the residents of Pleasant Valley remember the day their little town was raided by Union troops. Who wouldn't want to take part in the festivities as these rednecks slaughter the yankees with fun and exciting events that lead to over the top blood and gore?
Two Thousand Maniacs isn't for people who love deep plots, clean special effects, or Oscar caliber acting. No, this one's for folks who like to see a bunch of crazy rednecks slaughter folks in a jubilee of blood and guts.
Any fan of the "redneck" sub-genre has to see this film, it's simply not an option to skip it." - Despare

Honorable Mentions:

Deliverance (1972)

Wrong Turn (2003)

Last edited by _____V_____; 02-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.