View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Child's Play

I thought I had seen this in its entirety at least once, but I went in with virgin eyes basically. By any means of good writing, it has many flaws. I would even say it's a bad film. But the traditional effects were stunning, and the characters memorable, so I can see how this became an easy classic. I quite enjoyed it in it's awfulness.
I also just saw it for the first time a few months back. As an overall horror film, I thought it was pretty average, but still solidly made, with effective doll effects. Story-wise, besides being pretty average, I'd want to call it cliche, even for it's time, but it's really a bit of a parody and social satire... which feeds on cliche. It was well received by critics and ticket sales. To just be plain about it, I didn't really like it, more a personal taste issue... mostly, its brand of crudeness doesn't hit my funny bone.

Possibly the most significant thing about Child's Play's initial success was the social environment at the time: which was the Cabbage Patch Kids hysteria -- with parents getting into fits fights to get the doll for their kid, and many cutesy toys hypes in the 80s. So it was a ripe era to make a cutie killer doll and trash the whole hysteria.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-11-2017 at 06:14 PM.