View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Hellraiser

Poltergeist (2015)

I didn't see a thread, so I figured I'd start one. If I missed one, I apologize.

I come into this film in the minority: I didn't like the original Poltergeist. I thought that, even though many of the sequences were good on their own, the pacing was terrible, with the story basically existing to justify one special effects sequence after another. I think the remake did a fairly good job of streamlining the story. The special effects weren't great, but they did their job.

It also bucked a recent trend that's been annoying the hell out of me in horror films: It gave us characters who were relatively happy and functional. Alot of recent horror films have given us downplayed, melancholic performances, that make it seem as if horror only happens to the chronically depressed.

All this said, though, an interesting thought: This is still probably the second worst wide theatrical horror film of 2015 to date (second to The Lazarus Effect)...however, if it had been released in 2014 it would have been the second best (to Oculus). The bar has been raised these last few months, and I'm thrilled because of it.