View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I've been playing through a "Streets of Rage" marathon on the "Ultimate Megadrive collection" on 360.
I've beat #1 and #2, about half way through #3 now.
(I really wish a more complete 16 bit collection would come out)
Fond memories...I remember days where you could walk into an arcade, before every game became a Street Fighter clone, on-rails shooter, or a (usually) lackluster driving title, Beat 'em ups were pretty popular.
I miss them dearly. So simplistic.
But nothing was more fun than walking around with 2 players, smacking villains about, finding weapons and food in garbage bins and rusted out barrels, and coming up against outlandish bosses that always seemed to be about 3x as big as any other character in the game.

I really long for this kind of stuff somedays.
Final Fight, The D&D arcade games, SOR of course, Runark, Gang wars, UC Cops, The Punisher, TMNT, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, battletoads, Vendetta, The Simpsons, and not to forget the game that got me into the genre - Double Dragon

It's not just those games I miss of that generation...it was a time that gaming was really powering along in my opinion. The 16 bit and arcade era of around the same time will forever be my ho-to for fond gaming memories...The beat em ups, the action titles like POW and Metal Slug, The platformers were at their best here too.
I'm glad for emulation but sometimes I just wish they'd sell a machine that played and ran awesomely with access to every game I've ever wanted.
The wii tried, but has not succeeded yet.

Ah, one day.

Might put on "Castlevania - Lords of Shadow" for a bit.
Not a bad game so far though it's very God of War....I'm not really loving it, but for some reason I'm compelled to finish it.
I'm fond of emulators (have them for nearly every console on my Mac including Arcaade Games though can't work the Sega Saturn emulator to play Shining Force 3 though I'm trying) but I get where you are coming from the golden age of arcades have gone now. Used to adore the beat em up machines of "Asterix" and "The Simpsons" (Playing as Marge and hitting enemies with your hoover was adorable). Haven't played any of the Streets Of Rage games in years couldn't you in the 2player option beat each other up?-I swear me and my mates were always helping use the enemies to kill each other. I don't think you could do that on any of the Golden Axe games.