View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Eraserhead (1977)

Eraserhead isn't a movie; Eraserhead is an experience. David Lynch's nightmare may seem like a surreal narrative of non-sense, but one must take a deeper look, and multiple viewings, to fully appreciate the film. When it all comes down to it, after we are exposed to horrifying depictions of issues such as abortion, affairs, suicide, and sin, Eraserhead becomes more real than almost any film in history. - alkytrio666

The Exorcist III (1990)

Where do I begin my dissertation on this movie? It's the last movie I've seen that creeped me out so bad it caused me to lose sleep. It's the movie I've seen more than any other movie intentionally (although Bob Clarks brilliant A Christmas Story probably has it beat simply because my family leaves it on for the full 24 hour marathon on Xmas every year.) It's my personal favorite movie of all time, and one of the most underappreciated movies ever made.

After Exorcist II: The Heretic (which is utterly horrible) I think people lost faith in the franchise. This is what the sequal to what a lot of people consider to be one of the best, if not the best, horror movies of all time should have been. It did everything that part II was supposed to do, and it did it successfully. The brilliant acting of George C. Scott shines throughout. His interaction with Ed Flanders is a perfect example of how comedy can be used effectively in a serious horror movie. Brad Dourif is incredible in his role, and brilliantly mixed with short appearances by Jason Miller.

The thing Exorcist III is truly king at is blind siding you. Unlike other movies, whom use false scares such as a cat jumping from the closet, it sets you up with brilliant dialogue and long camera shots. If you've seen it, I'm sure the hallway scene comes to mind. If not, you'll know what I mean after you watch it. Even though the ending was a bit overdone (and there are rumors that it is not the original ending), you'll find no in your face Hollywood FX here. Subtlety is the name of the game here, and it's a game that no other movie has done so well. - The Flayed One

Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America

An anthology of short films. Three of them. I don't think I've ever been so emotionally drained after them. This did something I thought couldn't be done to me after watching horror for so long: it affected me in a way that I'm not sure I like.

Douglas Buck shows a masterful control of atmosphere and storytelling in all three of his shorts. Welcome to middle class suburbia in midwestern America, now allow me to bludgeon you with this hammer.

Although most people think Cutting Moments is the highlight of the trilogy, each film is uniquely engrossing and disturbing in its own way. A neglected housewife who desperately tries to hold onto her idea of a nuclear family; a blue collar husband whos family life is not what he imagined it to be; a young girl coming home from the hospital after a terrible tragedy. These are simple ideas that almost anyone can relate to, and yet Buck extracts every piece of ugliness he can from them and throws them in your face. I'm not sure I want to recommend these to anyone. If you want the experience, please watch it. Just be warned that it won't be a pleasant one. - The Flayed One

Feast (2005)

Feed (2005)

I first heard about Feed on the HDC forums. I believe it was Mr. Usher who commented about it being really hard to eat food after watching the movie. To me, that meant it must be really great, at least in the department of grossness or gore or something to that effect.
The severe disgust that Feed can command over the viewer isn't so much due to on screen blood and guts, more so it is its commentary on the degeneration of our society. From abusive relationships, to extreme fetishes, to the spiraling weight problem in North America (even tho the film was made in Aussie if im not mistaken), to people's narccisisstic approach to themselves, it touches on many interesting subjects that are very relevant and manages to juxtapose them in way that brings out the ugliness in all and allows the viewer to decide which one is truly most disgusting to them. The relatively unknown (at least to me) cast adds alot to the movie, especially since it is quite serious, not just some gorehound shocker out to gross you out with special effects (although there are definetly a few look-away type scenes sprinkled throughout). I really liked this flick, probably mostly because it didn't bother apologizing for what it is : a derpaved look into parts of our culture that people think are so few and far between but are probably just next door or closer. Highly recommended for people who like a sick flick with a bit of an edge. - Spec7ral

Last edited by The Flayed One; 09-27-2008 at 01:17 PM.