View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 AM
For Vendetta

The SEVENTH PERIOD: 1980 - 1989

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
it's one of the most impactful horror movies I've ever seen. I understand that it's not for everyone, but hopefully it will be judged on its merits and not purely on taste.

Not many exploitation films have made it (because they've been beaten by better films), but this one transcends exploitation via self-satirization and irony. It also serves as a transition from 70s grindhouse to an era of "proper," and generally respectable, horror that took off in the 80s. If you're put off by the real animal killings, which is totally understandable, hopefully the assurance that all the animals were consumed by the natives, as they regularly did, helps alleviate that.

Regarding the film, its story and its execution, I find it to be truly unique and impeccably executed. I'm amazed that the real-life natives are almost better actors than the actors. I have no idea how Deodato accomplished that. It's one of the reasons the movie feels so real. That, and the intermixing of Animal Kingdom-style footage and mondo real death video (which, as part of the storyline, is a "faked" documentary), causes the line between reality and fiction to blur to the point that the viewer is subconsciously confused, and the acted violence becomes significantly more disturbing that it would have been otherwise. This is a stroke of genius by Deodato.

The story is brilliant, consisting of two excursions -- the second team setting out to solve the mystery of the first team's disappearance, a story which is revealed incrementally via footage that the second team found. The footage revealed that the true horror was just as much due to human nature, of which the exploitative and, eventually evil, Westerners are bound to, as it was to the cannibalistic nature of the natives. It should also be mentioned that the found footage aspect of this film predates the "original" found footage film, The Blair Witch Project, by nearly 20 years, and that it was so well executed that Deodato was actually tried in a criminal court for suspicion of killing his actors.

Cannibal Holocaust outdid all of its subgenre predecessors, both in intelligent storytelling and execution, and effectively killed off the cannibal subgenre. After this one, there will never be a need for another one. - Giganticface

The Changeling (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
It's amongst the best the 80s has to offer, easily. This is one of the most perfect haunted house movies and is absolutely overflowing with atmosphere and tension. George C. Scott is outstanding and is aided by a fine supporting cast, including the great Melvyn Douglas. The séance scene is probably the best example of a scene that has been recycled countless times in horror. No blood and gore, just pure horror. This one really is a timeless classic that needs to be recognised. The ultimate 'Things that go bump in the night' movie. Full of tension, atmosphere and genuine chills with barely a drop of blood in sight. - Straker

Friday the 13th (1980)
Wikipedia Link

The Shining (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Scanners (1981)
Wikipedia Link

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 10:54 AM.