View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 05:03 AM
Hellraiser

I consider Cabin Fever an indie....they made the movie with no help from any major studios (they had KNB's help...which is about as big as the production got), they used non-union workers, and they pretty much just shot it out in the NC woods much like Evil Dead 24 years ago stressing about money every day (the DP went out and bought film stock on his credit card so Eli wouldn't get mad about the budget) and they did it all on their own.

That's pretty independent if you ask me, Lion's Gate paid $10+ million for it so they could distribute it. Which means they made the $20+ million that the box office has pulled in. They dedicated a million I think to promotion, which is why it had all those nice posters, billboards, TV spots, and such wide distribution. But that doesn't change the finished film or the process in which it was made.

And for the record, Lion's Gate may have cut some stuff for it to get an R, but otherwise all the effects were practical, done by the best in the biz at KNB. Not to mention all you can really do in post is toss in CGI and Eli was very adimant about no CGI.