View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dark View Post
Well that's the thing right there, we still haven't found distribution. Reading the how to make a movie books starting out they all made it sound easy, like you just shoot the thing, go to a market, and stand at a table and wait for the offers. But guess what, ever film festival in the country is showing the same 6 movies as Sundance, and those movie markets don't even really exist. Half the distribution companies you enquire with aren't even in business anymore, and the other half are full up.

I'm not saying it is hopeless, but you do have to be prepared in filmmaking for the possibility of bankrupting yourself and giving up everything important in your life to make a movie, only to have no one have a way to see it.
I have seen the problem you are talking about here with Distribution companies. What I have seen done is self-Distribution, Net, Horror film festivals booths, independent video stores and some non-independent stores, ads in horror mags, websites, screenings. I find a lot of films that way, however, down side is; no Money. This dose take money, you are somewhat making a mom and pop distribution company, that is starting on the right foot, you know your limit. However, you could put a ton of work into advertising working to get your film out there and have nothing to show for it. I shudder to think of all the indy films that are awesome that I will never get to see because the film market is a hard thing to bust into. Getting your work out is easy, youtube, facebook... etc, its hard to remake the money you have put into it a film when you have to build the advertising foundation, for your film. That's why you should look at it more like you are building a small business, learning, slowly growing something, that has the potential to bring in the money but knows it's limit and knowlage of the film world. There are people like me filmmaker/fans who look for and seeks movies like yours, it may not pull the millions and millions that a big budget movies dose, but it builds a fan base if the passion is there and the script is good. This is why indy filmmakers should always budget for a small amount of avertising for pushing there film into the market if they do not find a distribution company.

Last edited by jessieblood; 03-24-2013 at 02:56 AM.