View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
For Vendetta

HDC MEMBERS SPECIALLY RECOMMEND...

The Sealed Room (1909)
Quote:
Kinda plays out more like a melodrama, loosely based on The Cask of Amontillado. Nice early example of gothic cinema. Pretty well edited for the time, which keeps the drama/ tension flowing which in itself is a pretty awesome achievement considering there are only a handful of static shots across the 11 minutes run time. Its quite dark for the time and the tension builds nicely and its all well put together. Great movie from a great director, check it out here if you have a spare 10 mins. - Straker

The Black Room (1935)
Quote:
Though it comes with a traditional set up but it showcases one of the best & pretty rare performances from (if I'm not mistaken, I think this is the only film where) the King of Horror in a double role of playing twin brothers: one good, the other evil! And that itself makes it a must see, IMO. - Roshiq

Tarantula (1955)
Quote:
A generalized classic. I actually liked it's slower character-driven pace. Kind of a sleepy rainy day horror film. - Sculpt

I, Vampiri (1956) [full film]
Quote:
Not only was this one of Bava's first directing efforts (uncredited), it was also the first Italian horror of the sound era. Not the best example of his work, but still a landmark in the genre and Bava's career, featuring both beautiful cinematography from Bava and some quality set design. - Straker

Black Sunday (aka) La Maschera del Demonio (1960)
Quote:
Italian horror and giallo was a hugely influential movement that left us with some of our all-time favorite horror films, and it started here. Mario Bava provided the template of what would evolve over the next 20 years. - Giganticface

Village of the Damned (1960)
Quote:
It is an excellent classic from the 1960s. - metternich1815

The Haunted Palace (1963)
Quote:
There is this particularly frightening scene where Vincent Price's character looks up at the painting of Joseph Curwen, and his face goes from gentle to pure evil in a split second. No special effects, just good acting. I almost peed my pants the first time I saw it! - Kandarian Demon

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Quote:
Hammer's Evil of Frankenstein revealed a truly MAD scientist who was a cold and evil man. He was far more frightening than the creature he created. That was the legacy of horror films in the 60s. Humanity was exposed as the monster. Sure, there were exceptions, but this was the dominant paradigm. - Neverending

Kwaidan (aka) Kaidan (1964)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & Straker

Kill, Baby...Kill! (aka) Operazione paura (1966)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & Giganticface

The Fearless Vampire Killers (aka) Dance of the Vampires (1967)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (aka) Se sei vivo spara (1967)
Quote:
It's a horror/western hybrid that reflects the cultural changes of the time and a general shift towards cynicism in art: Hypocrisy in religion, gay cowboy gangs, suicide, and explicit violence (the scalping scene is epic). Plus, the avenging protagonist is the walking dead, and a generally a bad dude. An anti-hero. - Giganticface

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-11-2014 at 10:07 PM.