View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Horror > Everything

I loved the original Elm Street but I had no interest when I first heard about the sequel. This wasn't due to any homophobia, which I respectfully submit that I do not suffer from, but it was about the director. When I heard that Wes Craven wasn't on board, and even worse, was a bit put off at the idea of a follow up, I dropped out. I guess it was loyalty and my young idealism. Since then i've softened my stance and watched part two, but it was with the foreknowledge that it had homosexual overtones. By the time I saw it, maybe 10 years after it's release, the themes were already talked about often in film and horror fan circles.

However, when Nightmare two was initially released in theaters, I knew dozens of pretty astute people who, whether they loved or hated the movie, never made one mention of any sexual themes, homosexual or otherwise. To my recollection neither did any film review that I read nor any I saw on television.
i'm not saying it wasn't discussed at the time, but I feel pretty confident that it wasn't a pervading topic among most horror fans.

As far as my feelings on the movie, I dont like it. I dont care about the subtext, no matter how overt it seems in retrospect, but the story just isn't very strong and the acting at times is comical when the moment calls for terrifying, or terrified. I also think the entire pool scene looks like it was put together by a 10th grade theater department. That is, until our dream demon shows up. Then things get properly wicked.

The positives? Freddy is a NASTY fucker, and the makeup design on him is one of the best in the Elm Street series.

Last edited by Repo'd; 09-24-2015 at 04:52 AM.