View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Quote:
Originally posted by cyqe
I would love to do this for free, I love Japanese horror, but do you know how hard it is for me to get Japanese horror movies in south Alabama.
After watching the Grudge I decided that I wanted to watch Ju-on.
I went to the local movie rental store and told them what I was looking for. They didn't have it so I asked if they could get it for me.
The employee I was speaking to said to me," If it's Japanese how are you going to know what they're saying?"
I said, "There are subtitles."
He said, "What are subtitles?"
I said, "That's when they put the words on the bottom of the screen so that you can read what the people are saying." I was trying to make it simple for the redneck.
He said,"Well if you want to read it, why don't you go get the book?"
Needless to say I have to buy all of my Japanese horror off of the internet.
I hate that small minded ignorance! When I went to see House of Flying Daggers, like 5 people left the cinema and didn't come back...literally 5 minutes after the subtitles appeared and they realised the movie wasnt in english.

I'm english, but I feel very ashamed that they would just leave because the movie isnt in english. Why should it be? We dont make our movies in Japanese or Chinese etc.

Thats what annoys me about re-makes of classic Asian movies, not just the fact that the re-makes almost always suck compared to the original, but the fact that all these ignorant people go to the movie not even knowing that its a re-make or having any desire to see the original.

I just wish they would leave Asian cinema alone, rather than Americanizing it just to make some money. If people are too ignorant to want to watch a movie in a different language then thats their problem, they shouldnt get to see a re-make tear a classic movie to shreds and ruin it for the true fans.

/rant :P

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.