View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Pirate of Bengal

No Mercy (2010)

Synopsis:
Quote:
A chopped-up body of a young woman is found near a riverbank. Korea's top forensic investigator Kang Min is brought in to look into the cruel, horrendous crime method. His medical advice and a young detective's deduction lead to the arrest of a prime suspect - an environmental activist named Lee Sung. When Lee's confession almost wraps up a seemingly easy but strange murder case then actually the real story begins; as the suspect Lee starts to play a cat & mouse game with the coroner Kang Min and his involvement moves from merely being the man supplying the pathology report to a desperate guy whose daughter untimely appears to be missing also.

From Chan-wook Park's Vengeance trilogy to recent highly intense serial killer-thrillers like THE CHASER or I SAW THE DEVIL, over the years Korean cinema has gained its reputation worldwide for showing an immense amount of bravery in terms of what it wants to tell the viewer with unpredictable storyline & shocking resolutions near the end of a movie; when the audience literally had their hands clasped over the mouth trying to hold back an irresistible stunned reaction. And this debut film from writer-director Kim Hyeong-Joon, can be classified as another addition to those 'edge of your seat movies' from Korea. It's like a true fanboy's good-honest tribute to his favorite master director's one of the greatest films or even it won't be too much exaggerating to say, it's like an unofficial, new entry to Chan-wook Park's Vengeance series just without having Mr. Park on the director's chair! But still considering everything, I won't like to put it on the same level with Park's vengeance series. Most of the part, it was like another decent version of THE CHASER but you have to wait till the twisted finale comes with a heart-breaking and devastating revelation that fairly reminded me of one of the most highly appreciated films in Park's Vengeance saga. But again I like to add overall it's not may be as much great as any of those Park films but obviously a very entertaining, delightful watch that will try best to shock you hard at the end. So be prepared who ever haven’t seen it yet.