View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize how common it is to have a child killed off in a horror movie. It doesn't bother me for the most part (it is fake after all), and I think the previous poster was right when he said that you don't see a detailed gory killing of a child the way you would an adult.

One of the most disturbing things I've ever seen involving a child wasn't a horror movie; it was that old Sally Field TV movie 'Sybil'. Trust me, you DON'T want to see what happens to Sybil as a little girl.
Yes, Sybil stayed in my mind for a long time after I watched it. It was more horrible, because it was a true, if slightly elaborated. But these vile, evil and completely fucked up mothers do exist. Every day I work with people who have been abused and yes- women who do this to their cildren do exist. What makes it a more difficult pill to swallow is the fact that these things are done not only bu women, but to their own children which is the biggest taboo. I once nursed a 'real life sybil' who suffered things that we as a team found unbelievable to nurse. And this was in a middle class, well to do family-not backwoods scum of the earth.
Sometimes art immitates fact!